Mercury in Dentistry: What You Don’t Know CAN Hurt You

According to a recent Zogby poll, most Americans – almost 60% – don’t know that mercury is the main component of so-called “silver” amalgam fillings.


Only about 1 in 10 say their dentist has ever told them as much. And 2/3 say their dentist has NOT given them enough information about alternatives to make an informed decision.


As a patient in our mercury-free, mercury-safe practice, you are truly exceptional. In fact, you may have chosen us because we’re ahead of the curve when it comes to non-toxic, environmentally-friendly dentistry. Biocompatibility is a must. Patient education is central.


You deserve to have the facts and all the information you need in order to make good decisions about your health and your family’s. Here are just a few of the facts when it comes to mercury:


Fact: Mercury is one of the most potent neurotoxins (literally, brain poisons) in existence.


Fact: Mercury does not stay locked within amalgam fillings but is consistently outgassed into the body where it can and does become methylated, becoming even more dangerous.


Fact: Some people are more susceptible to mercury poisoning than others. Only with proper testing can we determine whether they may be contributing to health problems.


Fact: Just getting mercury fillings safely removed is not enough. Proper, thorough, supervised detox is required as your body rids itself of the mercury it has stored.


Fact: Composite (“white”) fillings can be just as strong and durable as amalgams. They also don’t require us to remove as much natural tooth structure.


Fact: Mercury amalgam fillings are cheaper ONLY when you exclude their cost to health and the environment. Once you factor those in, composites are actually the less expensive option.


Fact: The US was the first nation to sign the Minimata Convention on Mercury – a global treaty to reduce mercury pollution which requires action toward a phase-out of dental mercury.

Comments Policy & Disclaimer

We welcome your comments and review all comments before letting them post. Any comments that include profanity, personal attacks, unfounded claims, or appear to be spam will not be approved. This is a moderated forum.

We regret that we cannot comment or offer advice on specific, personal dental health situations on this blog. Just give us a call at our office instead: 510-745-1800. We’d be glad to speak with you.

This blog is for educational purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for individual health, fitness or medical advice.

Connect with us Socially